Monday, October 23, 2017

My new mantra: And so we wait

I thought my appointment today was just a heartbeat check-up, but when I was in the examination room the doctor wheeled in a portable belly-ultrasound and I got to see my little man dance.  He was too active to get a heart rate measurement, but the doctor said it looked normal.  And the ultrasound machine they use is not good enough to get great pictures, but his little head looks round.  Obviously a relief, but the doctor was quick to point out that the fuzzy pictures on her machine were not like the crisp ones we’d get on Thursday at the high risk OB.  Nevertheless, she said she saw nothing that concerned her and would be surprised if he has anencephaly.  Of course, she acknowledged that our biggest challenge was going to be structural abnormalities, none of which (except perhaps anencephaly) could be seen at this point on this machine.  She said she would remain cautiously optimistic.

So we wait.

P.S. His movements seemed normal, which made me wonder if babies with anencephaly move normally.  The answer, apparently, is no.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3905349 (“In all [eight anencephalic] fetuses [studied] the movements were qualitatively abnormal: they were forceful, jerky in character and of large amplitude.”)

1 comment: