Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Birth story

Just to get the important things out of the way:  he’s here, he’s healthy, and mom is healthy too.

As you can guess, the past 24 hours have been a little crazy.

I woke up just after midnight on May 7 with very mild contractions.  I was excited—he’s coming!!  But they contractions were so mild and spaced so far apart (10 minutes?) that I was able to fall back asleep.  I woke again a little after 5am and they were the same.  A trip to the bathroom also demonstrated my “bloody show.”  (My mucus plug had been falling out for a few days, and at that time there was a lot of it tinged with blood.) 

After I got up, showered, ate, and got ready for work, though, the contractions stopped.  I called my doctor’s office, and they said that’s normal, but try to walk around and see if you can get things moving again.  So I drank my raspberry loose leaf tea and ate my dates and went to work.  Between a couple meetings I had that day, I went for two very long walks.  The first one, in the morning, I walked for over an hour to a park near where I work.  The second, in the afternoon, I walked the opposite way towards the river, again for over an hour.  The day was hot, and I was pretty sweaty, which worried me because I know stillbirths can spike in hot weather.  Between the two I walked for around 2 ½ hours and I’d guess over 2 miles.  (So I guess it was something between a walk and a shuffle.)

But, for all my efforts, I still didn’t get those contractions going.  (Although I did get more bloody show….)

Then I had a 2:30 afternoon meeting.  (Ironically, with a number of the women at my firm.)  While in the meeting I had a strong contraction, and then another one 10 minutes later.  I stood up, announced I had to leave before I threw up, and went home.  On my drive home I had two more very strong contractions, again about 10 minutes apart.

And then nothing.

Annoyed, I did some quick research only to discover that this stopping and starting of labor is not uncommon and can go on for days.  BOOO.  The good news is that this process (sometimes called early labor or prodromal labor) actually does move the labor process along—i.e. your cervix is dilating etc.—and can make actual labor faster. 

I called and talked to the doctor’s office, and they told me that I should come to the hospital if my labor pains were less than 5 minutes apart and I couldn’t talk through them (a stage I never actually got to with my first!) or if my water breaks.  Since absolutely nothing was happening, I wasn’t super worried about figuring out when we should go to the hospital.

So I just laid in bed resting (I was tired after all of the walking I did!) and texted my parents/hubby letting them know that, counter to what we thought, it did not seem like baby was making an appearance that day.

My husband called to check in on me around 4:30.  He said, “where are you?”  I said, “at home resting.”  He said, “no, where exactly are you?”  Confused, I responded, “in bed.”  He’s like, “okay, just please don’t sit on my new chair [his 40th birthday gift from me—a fancy post-destructive baby phase piece of furniture, ha!] unless you have a towel or something, in case your water breaks.”  I decided not to condescend to tell him that it’s really rare for your water to break when you’re not in labor—that’s just in the movies.

We hung up, I laid back down, and not minutes later I feel (hear??) a “pop” and, hand to heart, my water breaks.  So, I guess we ARE having a baby after all!!  I call hubby and tell him to home, change my clothes, call the doctor, call my doula, and run downstairs for a quick snack.  Around 4:45, I had my first contraction—a pretty strong one.  When I talked to both my doctor and my doula, they said there’s no big hurry to get to the hospital after your water breaks, but we decided since my labor was pretty fast with my son, and we’ve heard to expect a faster labor with successive pregnancies, and because we were going to be driving in rush hour traffic, to leave sooner than later.  As my husband is quickly grabbing a snack I have another contraction, and as we time them we see they’re about 5 mins apart and strong—time to go!

The drive to the hospital took less than half an hour.  At the beginning the contractions felt like strong period cramps, but got stronger and stronger as we drove.  And they were about 5 mins apart.  When we got to the hospital we went to the assessment area (which I basically skipped last time around because I showed up ready to push).  They check your blood pressure, weight, etc. etc.  At that point, they also checked my cervix—3-4cm, 80% effaced, so that early labor did make some progress, but we had a way to go.  While we were there my contractions were getting stronger, so we decided to call my doula and have her come.  I think we were there for maybe half an hour before going to the delivery room.

In the delivery room, things started to move fast.  My contractions were getting really strong, and I wasn’t breathing through them as much as I was moaning hard.  My doula showed up around 6:30, and by that time I was in significant pain.  (My husband said he does not remember me being in as much pain with my son.)  I’d been feeling nauseous for a while, and at one point I grabbed a barf bag and vomited so hard I got a nosebleed.  There were fluids coming out of both ends!  After that I definitely said I don’t know if I can keep doing this (especially if we still had hours and hours to go), but the doctor checked me and I was 9cm dilated!  She said let’s see about trying to push.  For maybe 8 mins I was “pushing” but not really, and then I had 6 very painful and very hard pushes.  At one point I screamed bloody murder.  On my final push I cried out, “get him out of me!”  I don’t know if I was talking to the doctor, myself, or God.  But my pleas were answered and he was out.  7:40pm, just a few hours after my water broke.  

Man, that was intense! 

We got a little nervous at the end because they were monitoring baby (which was really uncomfortable) and both of us worried that we were going to hear, “baby is in distress, we have to pull him out now.”  (With my son, I don’t think I was really even monitored.)  But that fear did not come to pass.

He cried right away, had an Apgar score of 8/9, and weighed 8lbs 5oz (just a little bigger than his brother was).  He’s been fully checked by doctor, and is healthy as can be.  I cannot tell you what a relief it is to have him here and healthy.

I’m doing well too.  Labor was super exhausting.  Especially the pushing at the end.  It’s one thing to just be in pain, it’s a whole different animal to be in pain and have to exercise through it.  After I ran the marathon this fall I remember saying I never wanted to be done with anything more in my life.  Umm, yea, labor is way worse!!  I had one small second degree tear, but a few stitches later I feel as good as new!

I really, really cannot believe this is how this chapter in my life ends.  Two beautiful healthy kiddos!  Who would have thought, after all these years, that this is how my two week wait would end?

7 comments:

  1. Yaaay!!!! I have been lurking and following along.with your story for about 7 months. I myself have RPL and am 38 weeks with my rainbow, so I have absolutely loved your informative and relatable posts, and have been hoping to see a birth announcement on here soon!! Congratulations, what amazing news!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And congrats on your rainbow baby. I hope everything is smooth at the end and you’re snuggling your little one soon.

      Delete
    2. Rachael - I assume baby is here? I hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. SO incredibly happy for you. Congratulations, and happy bonding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Excited to snuggle with this guy and enjoy summer in Minneapolis!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you were working while having contractions! Delighted to hear the little guy arrived safely :-) Send me some pics if you get a chance !

    ReplyDelete