Saturday, May 21, 2011

What more can go wrong? (Luteal phase defect?)

I started using ovulation predictor kits pretty early on in our (in)fertility journey.  My husband was the one raised a concern with the fact that I got my period really soon after the kits detected the LH surge (which happens right before ovulation).  We just thought that seemed wrong--how could you get pregnant if you were getting your period just days after ovulating?

Reading on the internet we decided I might have a luteal phase defect.  

Basically, “luteal phase” is the time between ovulation and your period.  Makes sense if you ovulate and get your period a day later, that’s not enough time for the egg to get fertilized and implant, right?  Well, some doctors think if your time from ovulation to period is not long enough you have a “luteal phase defect.”  I found many websites that claimed that the luteal phase is normally 14 days long and on an average it can be anywhere from 10 to 17 days long.  They claimed that a luteal phase of less than 10 days it is considered a luteal phase defect, and it can be a problem if the luteal phase is less than 12 days.  (One thing I should note—apparently there’s no agreement in the medical community about whether there is such a thing as a luteal phase defect.  My obgyn poo-pooed it.) 

I didn’t have to read much to worry that I had a luteal phase defect.  Using ovulation predictor kits, I found that my luteal phase was consistently less than 10 days.  (The predictor kits recognize an LH surge, which means you’re going to ovulate in the next day or so.)

One thing I read was that taking vitamin B6 can help with a luteal phase defect.  I called my doctor’s office and they said there was no risk and I could take B6 vitamins.  The B6 actually seemed to lengthen my luteal phase to more than 10 days, so that was good.

For the next six plus months after my miscarriage, we never had a positive pregnancy test.  (I actually had two separate times where I had pregnancy symptoms, but that was either just my mind / body playing tricks on me or I had two more chemical pregnancies.)

With heavy hearts, in September 2011, after going off birth control in March of 2008, suffering an ectopic pregnancy, and suffering at least one miscarriage, we decided it was time to see a fertility doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment