Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Head down, booty up

Okay, I’m willing to admit that maybe, just maybe, I went a little crazy when I heard baby was breech.  On one hand, there are a lot of decisions to make with a breech baby and I really believe that being educated as early as possible is important, especially if you’re going to try some DIY tricks as soon as possible to encourage baby to move.  On the other hand, breech babies can still move, so there’s no reason to completely flip out and spend hours, and hours, and hours reading about all of the issues surrounding breech babies/labor/etc.  (My next post was going to be all about diagnosing and treating hip dysplasia in newborns, a common issue with frank breech babies.)  And, in our case, this above-average sized (his head was measuring around 36w3d even though he was dated at 35w5d), super active, hopefully developmentally normal boy in his mother’s normally-shaped (as far as we know) uterus that has already been massively stretched from her prior pregnancy DID manage to get himself back in head down position.  YAY!!!!!!  When the ultrasound tech told me at the appointment yesterday, I screamed so loud I’m sure people around the office heard it.

It was definitely the moxi sticks.  Ha!

AND that’s not the only good news from the appointment!  My bloodwork came back showing that while my platelet count is still lower than normal, it’s not dropping (and in fact went up a bit).  YAY!  AND my cervix is soft and dilated ½ cm.  Yay!  Of course that really tells us nothing more than if, for some reason, we have to induce, it won’t be against a cervix that is tight as a drum.  Apparently there is no formula that says, if your cervix is x dilated you will go into labor in y days.  But a more dilated cervix demonstrates that your body is getting ready to have a baby.

For the first time in a week, I can completely exhale.  Here’s to an enjoyable break until the next challenge pops up!

No comments:

Post a Comment