Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Background

How did we get here? Well, after our son was born at the beginning of 2012, we immersed ourselves into parenting. It was exhausting (6 weeks in I got shingles!), and stressful, and wonderful. After I (reluctantly) stopped breastfeeding at the beginning of 2013 (his choice, not mine), we waited a couple of months for my period to return. Once that happened, we started trying to get pregnant again. No ovulation predictor kits, no fertility monitors, no body temperature measurements--just low-key. I allowed myself to hope that I would be one of those people whose bodies "just figure it out" after being pregnant once before.

Nope.

We tried for about 9 mos. Nothing. Now, admittedly, there were months when due to our travel schedules etc. we probably missed the window, but we felt like we'd given it enough time--especially with our significant history of infertility and our now advancing ages. (I was 29 when we first started to get pregnant and I am now--gulp!--35.) Plus, if we are lucky enough to have a second kid, we'd love for them to be about 3 years apart, which meant we didn't have a ton of time.

So we made the easy decision to take another stab (jab? poke?) at IVF.

No comments:

Post a Comment