Friday, November 6, 2015

Trying to stay positive when things don’t look good

I am a natural optimist (contrary to some of the sadder things that may have been posted here).  But at this point, I have to be honest—it’s hard to seriously believe we’re likely to be successful in having a second kid.  We have had at least 6 miscarriages.  Every miscarriage increases the risk that the next pregnancy will be a miscarriage.  Also, having had an abortion increases miscarriage risk for the next two years.  I always have thin linings, which is not great for pregnancy outcomes.  I’m 37, which is borderline geriatric when thinking about fertility.  Plus, we have about a 1/20 change of having another baby with anencephaly.  So, if the average infertile person has a 50-60% chance of success with a genetically normal embryo, we have to be well, well below that.

Sometimes I don’t even think about the second kid we’re going to have and instead just think about how happy I’m going to be when we’re done with all of this fertility crap.  I actually find myself saying things like, “once we’ve blown through the rest of these embryos….”

No comments:

Post a Comment