Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Diagnosing anencephaly

Going back to the theme of never relaxing or celebrating good news….  The minute I left my heart beat appointment, I immediately (like, in the parking lot) called my OB’s office and demanded a referral to a high-risk OB so that I could get a transvaginal ultrasound appointment at 9 weeks to see if anencephaly could be diagnosed or ruled out.

Anencephaly is one of the most certain prenatal diagnoses.  And I’ve read it can be seen on an ultrasound as early as 8 weeks, when the crown to rump length is 32mm or greater:


(The researchers call it the “Mickey Mouse” sign.)

See this article indicating what the tech should be looking for:


Here’s an article discussing diagnosis with 100% certainty by 12 weeks when a transvaginal ultrasound is used:


(The researchers also call it the “Mickey Mouse” sign.)

Obviously I’m going to be on pins and needles through this whole pregnancy.  And one of the things I will be looking for is certainty, as soon as possible, that this is not a repeat of our last pregnancy.  I’m glad that I know what to look for.  Screw you, Mickey.

No comments:

Post a Comment