Thursday, March 3, 2016

Medrol during IVF

Prednisone, methylprednisolone (Medrol) and prednisolone all cross the placenta, but are “inactivated” so that most of the steroid does not reach the developing baby. 


(“Betamethasone and dexamethasone cross the placenta readily. Up to ninety percent of prednisolone and methylprednisolone is inactivated by the placenta.”)

So they are the preferred steroid for treatment during pregnancy.

As already discussed, my doctor originally wanted me to use dexamethasone, but settled on Medrol. 


Nevertheless, you’d rather NOT be on a steroid during pregnancy.  This article reports on a baby whose mom had high doses of Medrol through her pregnancy:


The baby had adrenal suppression (its adrenal glands were suppressed from steroid use).  Yuck.

There is also some suggestion that corticosteroids increase the risk of an oral cleft when used in the first trimester:


So you definitely do not want to be on a steroid any longer than necessary.

As far as I can tell, most clinics do not have their patients on Medrol much past embryo transfer.  Many clinics have patients start Medrol (16 mg tablet) on the night of their egg retrieval (to slightly suppress the immune system and prevent any inflammation) for 4 days:


Other clinics keep patients on Medrol through the 6th week of gestation (maybe?):


Clinics will keep patients on prednisone (or prednisolone) through the first trimester, though:


I’m not sure how long my doctor wants me on Medrol (I’m not sure HE knows), but I’m going to do my best to get off of it asap.  In other words, I was desperate trying to get on a steroid, and now I’m desperately trying to get off of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment