Thursday, March 17, 2016

Expecting Science

Over the years, I’ve run across a lot of blogs on fertility and related issues, and one I just found is my new favorite:


The author is a research scientist and she takes topics and breaks down the research surrounding them.  Very interesting.  Her most recent one is on morning sickness and miscarriage risk:


I won’t summarize the whole thing (it’s worth a read), but as it relates to me she says that for moms over 35 that experience morning sickness, the risk of miscarriage is 1/5 of women who do not experience it.  Woah!  She does point out that 20-30% of women who go on to have healthy pregnancies do not experience any morning sickness (I didn’t have any with my son).  She also notes that the more kids you’ve had the more likely you are to have morning sickness, that your ethnicity may play a part, and (in the notes) that older women tend to have less severe morning sickness.

She also notes that before 7 weeks, a lack of nausea does not predict miscarriage risk.  But if you do not have morning sickness by 8 weeks, that is predictive of a higher risk of miscarriage.

Whooh!  I’m 6 weeks 5 days and I have nothing.  (Maybe a teeny bit—a general sense of malaise.  I think that might be stress-related, though.)

As I said, I had no morning sickness with my son.  I did have mild morning sickness with my anencephaly pregnancy.  (No vomiting, but very, very nauseated and completely starving at the same time.  Yech.)  I suffered happily, knowing it was a good sign as it related to miscarriage risk.

Like most things relating to pregnancy, I have no control over whether I have morning sickness or not.  I just have to sit and wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment