Thursday, October 23, 2014

Infertile Myrtle


Well, fuck.  It did not work.  I mean, it did work, but then it stopped working.  Repeat beta 18dpo was 190.  It should have been at least double that.  The Dr’s office was like, “status quo, keep on your meds, but let’s get you in for another blood test.”  When she told me my numbers I was like, “well, fuck [see above], I’m having a glass of wine tonight.”  Of course third test confirmed it—beta of 151.  Dropping.  Not good.  (But at least it looks like it’s not ectopic!)
We have one frozen embryo left, but considering the poor quality, and that THREE better ones did not take, I am not holding my breath.  We might go for one more fresh cycle. I think science is on my side that it’s worth it to go for a second fresh round….  Although probably not a third fresh round (especially because we also went through two frozen):
This one says chances of having a kid--
·       after 1 round: 30.4%
·       after 2 rounds: 43.3%
·       after 3 rounds: 49.1%
·       after 4 rounds: 51.9%
·       after 5 rounds 53% (stays about here)
I’m unclear if my frozen cycles “count” against me.  That is, am I considered having done ONE cycle (because it was fresh) or am I counted as having done THREE cycles (one fresh, two frozen)?  I think the latter, which puts me into seriously screwed camp. 
Here’s another study from the same author with slightly different numbers with regards to lifetime success based on number of cycles (I think it has to do with the way cycles are counted):
See also:
Okay, one more interesting one:
The bad: “They concluded that both a major cardiovascular vulnerability to stress and working outside home are associated to a poor outcome of IVF-ET treatment.”  Gulp.  Yea, I work outside the home.  A lot.  In a relatively stressful job.
BUT: “Patients who have a biochemical pregnancy should be encouraged to go through another IVF cycle.”  Okay, I will!
Before we all start drinking, let’s inject some hope / good news into the mix:  “Young women who had a live birth and those who experienced an early miscarriage after IVF have a greater likelihood of achieving a live birth in a second cycle.”  See the full article here:
So, for me (and anyone who has had a miscarriage after IVF) there’s hope!  (As long as you’re under 40.  DAMN getting old is a bitch.) 
Okay, that was not bright enough.  I’m still depressed.  Here’s some REALLY good news.  IF you’re lucky enough to get pregnant via IVF, it does not appear that you kid will have cognitive issues AND in fact, they’re likely to do better in school:
This obviously does not prove that IVF makes smarter kids.  But it might indicate that when those desperate IVF parents are lucky enough to have kids, they’re mighty fine parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment