Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Mo’ aging, mo’ problems


Obviously I’m disappointed that our two B3s from our first round (when I was 32) did not survive.  (Have I mentioned that there was a lab issue that resulted in the frozen ones from our last cycle being ruined?)  So we’re doing a frozen cycle with our 35-year old guys.  Boooooo.  The rates of down syndrome DOUBLE from a 32 year old to a 35 year old mom.  There is nothing good about getting old when it comes to fertility.  Really, old hags like me should be shitting themselves when considering fertility statistics (handily collected for us from labs around the country):


Check out the national averages.  Okay, they’re not too bad for 36 year olds….  At the clinic we are using, about 40% of the women my age get pregnant and take home at least one kid, at least in any individual frozen or fresh cycle.  Not great, but not the kiss of death either.

At what I have read is one of the best lab/Dr. offices in the country, they have CRAZY good odds:


(Of course some offices patient shop or report numbers in a certain way, so they specifically warn you to take these with a grain of salt.  Still, SUPER interesting.)  Note that they are doing WAY more frozen cycles than fresh.  I bet they do pre-genetic testing on a lot of those.  But those stats! 43% of women over 42 doing a frozen cycle had a kid!  That’s insane!  (Of course these are women who managed to do a fresh cycle, have at least something reach blastocyst, presumably have those blastocysts tested and pass, and then have whatever they froze survive the thaw.  So those embryos went through the gauntlet.  I’m also going to guess that a fair number of those were frozen before the mom was 42.  But still, that’s amazing!)

What am I worried about?!  I’m a spring chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment