Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Inositol: Part II

As I mentioned, I made calls to “my team” to see if anyone had any reasons why I should / should not take inositol during my next FET cycle to try to reduce the risk of a NTD.

I heard back from my OBGYN’s office.  She was unfamiliar with the studies on inositol for prevention of NTDs, so she could not recommend it as a supplement (no surprise).  She did say that she knows the body produces it naturally so probably a little is not harmful.  Ringing endorsement!

I also heard back from someone involved with the Duke NTD study.  She was aware of the mice studies and the PONTI study on humans with respect to NTDs and inositol, but noted that there is no conclusive evidence yet that inositol supplementation in humans reduced the risk of NTDs and therefore no recommendation (in the US) for women to take it.  She was aware of some women who chose to take it.  Another ringing endorsement!

Finally, I heard back from my RE’s office.  They said it was fine, and sent me to a specific lab to order it (they have other patients use it for ovarian health and function):


Ovasitol: 50mg d-chiro-inositol, 2000mg myo-inositol in a powder form, taken morning and evening in water.  A 3-month supply with a doctor’s code is $78. 

My RE suggested that most studies suggest folic acid alone is fine.   But he did not try to convince me not to take inositol on top of it.  Inositol, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment